PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Amano / Yamato shrimp

RichardBlack
22nd Sep 2012, 10:20 PM
Hi,

I am trying my first attempt at amano breeding and my zoes are already 13 days old.

I have cobbled together a mixture of ideas found on the net and have fingers crossed that some will make it through to adulthood.

Does anyone have success with this?

I split my zoes into two 14lt tanks with marine water of different chemistry and fed each a random mixture of phytoplankton and Liquizell.

I used this site mainly for my knowledge base:

I have stopped adding any more phytoplankton and Liquizell because my phytoplankton has multiplied and has turned the water so green that I can only see into the tank some 5cm but don't know if stopping feeding Liquizell is right or not.

I know I have zoes because when I shine a torch they all swim towards the light.

Pics here, taken with my super macro setting as larve only 2mm long

Any advice would be welcome

Regards

Richard

Frank
23rd Sep 2012, 12:32 AM
Theres some information in our Knowledge Base.
http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php/115-knowledge-base
Good luck.

RichardBlack
23rd Sep 2012, 12:41 AM
Frank

Thanks for the links....

I read these many times with much interest whilst waiting for female with eggs. I tried reference a link to your Knowledge Base pages but was unable to as had < 15 posts. Am happy to take advice from anyone with experience and am keen to stack the odds in my favour for successful attempt.

Richard

Alexopolus
24th Sep 2012, 12:09 PM
Don't worry about the green water. Keep feeding your guys and have patience, it will be a while until you can transfer them to a tank (I usually leave them until they look like a miniature adult shrimp 2 to 4 weeks... Even more).

RichardBlack
24th Sep 2012, 04:47 PM
Don't worry about the green water. Keep feeding your guys and have patience, it will be a while until you can transfer them to a tank (I usually leave them until they look like a miniature adult shrimp 2 to 4 weeks... Even more).

At day 15 my green water seems to be fading slightly in one of my tanks. I dont know whether this is because the culture is dying or perhaps the zoes are eating it. The zoes in this tank seem to be larger and more active than the second tank that is still deep green with phyto.

I have started a phytoplankton culture 21.09.12 (this is also new territory to me and Goggle say it should be ready after 8 days or so) this is so I can feed the zoes with a constant supply but now have two questions about this.Q1 how much phyto should i add to the zoes tank? Q2 should I do a partial water change in my zoes tank to allow existing culture and possibility new culture to multiply?

Additionally I have some Spirulina tablets, should I grind these to powder and feed also / instead as suggested in Knowledge Base?

RichardBlack
25th Sep 2012, 05:35 PM
Day 16 pics. air stone in background to show scale

6383 6384 6385 6386 6387 6388

Alexopolus
26th Sep 2012, 11:54 AM
Good job!!! It seems you had a lot of survival. I think the spirulina is just too much. I had success with just phytoplankton. Water change... never did one, but was always checking the water quality. just keep feeding with phytoplankton (a couple of drops daily, depending of how big and how many little one you have) and remember greenwater means that there is food for them (keep eye on nitrate). Keep posting.

RichardBlack
27th Sep 2012, 10:09 PM
Good job!!! It seems you had a lot of survival. I think the spirulina is just too much. I had success with just phytoplankton. Water change... never did one, but was always checking the water quality. just keep feeding with phytoplankton (a couple of drops daily, depending of how big and how many little one you have) and remember greenwater means that there is food for them (keep eye on nitrate). Keep posting.

Okay will keep posting.. when you say 'a couple of drops daily' I need to tell you that last week I chucked in 300+lm in each tank... as you would expect the water has been green for some time (although one tank is greener than the other). I have not put any in since.....yet

RichardBlack
29th Sep 2012, 12:20 AM
I plan to put up pics at day 21 (this Sunday), and then every 7 days thereafter so fingers crossed and holding breath.

RichardBlack
30th Sep 2012, 04:58 AM
I had some random though to give them liquifry number 2 (as I had some left over from the past). I released a small drop just onto the water surface allowing it to spread on the water tension, when the particles began to sink the zoes just grabbed them. I assume they thought it was food, but as the liquifry began to sink so did the zoes into the murky depths of my phyto mix. Hope to see them tomorrow for their third week birthday as I want to take pics.

RichardBlack
1st Oct 2012, 04:25 AM
As promised.. amano larvae / zoe’s at 21 days. taken today but my camera date is set wrong

Alexopolus
1st Oct 2012, 12:51 PM
Funny looking guys! They seem to be eating well (poop), just be carefull with the water quality.

RichardBlack
1st Oct 2012, 04:07 PM
Funny looking guys! They seem to be eating well (poop), just be carefull with the water quality.

Yeah I thought the same.. did 20% water change yesterday and added 6ml phyto, 2 drops liquizel and small quantity of spirulina powder

RichardBlack
1st Oct 2012, 04:09 PM
Im just guessing my way through this now as limited info around.. the questions I am struggling to answer are

How do i know when they are ready to move? How long after morph?

How long can i leave the salt water before adding fresh tank water?

I will still have zoes that are waiting to morph so how do i catch the post morph zoes (shrimp) for acclimatise to fresh water?

The info seems limited

Alexopolus
1st Oct 2012, 08:08 PM
You can move them as soon they look like a mini adult. The first time I tried to breed this guys, I think I left the poor guys for 6 weeks ( I was really busy with my job, and forgot about them ) they were just fine. I can't tell you a exact time or how long (My females have had eggs 6 times, so that's how many time I have done it... Every single time I just stop paying attention to it because of how long it takes or my job) for the guys to morph, and also water temp and feeding also plays a role in it (higher temp and the better they eat the faster they will grow).
Catch them with breeding net, and have a fresh water tank ready with no predators. After they morph they will grow faster...

RichardBlack
2nd Oct 2012, 11:00 PM
After reading an old blog by Mike Noren, i did a15% water change and topped it off with adding 300ml of Phyto..... I gave it all a stir. The zoes were grabbed hold of bits floating past but am not sure whether they thought it was food or just grabbing something for comfort.

RichardBlack
4th Oct 2012, 03:10 AM
Day 24. One of my two attempts was failing... The second setup which had half my larvae was made up of old tropical tank water with Tropical Marine salt started to show signs of trouble. Since day 10 I could tell tank B was not as active.

I’m going to refer the failed tank as tank B and the current working one as tank A

What I noticed apart from the apparent reduced numbers in tank B was that the larvae were not advancing in size as much as the other project in tank A. The only difference between tanks A and B is the water in tank B was old tropical water (which i picked because i thought it would be balanced). The water used for tank A was pure fresh RO. There were some other very small differences in salinity (which I have been struggling to define accurately)

In a vain attempt to save what was left in B I sucked up the remaining 20 or so larvae and put them straight into tank A.

Tank A had some waste on its base so I conjured up a rigid tube and 6mm pipe to siphon up the bottom... then replaced the 2 lts with fresh mix and topped the lot off with some liquifry feed.

All my zoe’s are now in one tank.

For reference all my pictures are from tank A

RichardBlack
4th Oct 2012, 03:37 AM
I cleaned out my tank from project B (left in the diatom brown algae that was growing on the inside) and am getting ready for next batch.

After applying my recent experience I have produced the following setup.

Tank 19lt, 35ppm salinity, Pure & fresh RO, 500ml Phyto, 5ml Stress Zyme+, 5ml Stress Coat+, Lights 24/7, Room temp. Air stone on slow bubble. All now mixed and operational.

The Stress Zyme and Stress Coat may help to keep the zoes and water conditioned but then again it may kill them off..

Will let you know in thread when the female is ready.

Navanod
4th Oct 2012, 03:32 PM
That's alot of work and a labor of love. I wish you the best on your tank A

RichardBlack
4th Oct 2012, 05:24 PM
Day 26

Things are changing...

There have been some noticeable changes of the last 24 hours..

Firstly the zoes are far more active and they swim to the lower part of their tank whereas before they would just hang around the top 25% of the water.

Secondly they can swim in both directions so just stop and swim backwards instead of turning around. I have given thought to their swimming direction because actually if they look like they are swimming forwards are they not actually swimming backwards??? I ask this because since birth they have naturally swam backwards as their preferred method of direction!!

Thirdly their colour is changing from a light / transparent brown to a much darker brown. Parks of their body are more visibly defined because of colour and shade differences.

Fourthly they just keep grabbing at each other then sink together, about half way down they separate and swim back up. I have seen this activity before but not with this frequency.

Finally there kinked tails are straightening out more so, and on one or two zoes it looks like they flick it down to propel forwards.

I ground down some spirulina tablets into powder and mixed it with water for a feed and by chance discovered something... when I have fed spirulina powder before (as a ground paste with added water) it has always sunk to the bottom with little time for the zoes to feed, this time I used warm water to help the paste dissolve. What I discovered is when the paste is put into the tank (with a pipette) it floats up to the surface because the paste is warmer. I wafted the mix about and it formed a suspended cloud of green feed. The zoes seemed to like this because as the cloud moved with the slow water flow the zoes stopped with it.

Ad Bezik
4th Oct 2012, 05:30 PM
I have found watching this journey of your little ones fantastic!

Ups and downs its like a miniature Coronation Street for shrimp lol

Keep up the posts it helps me get through my morning at work :p

Cheers

Ads

RichardBlack
4th Oct 2012, 11:45 PM
Day 26

First signs of morph into shrimp.

Feeling nervous

As you can see other zoe’s still have a way to go

You can see the digital thermometer in the first pic.. shows how small things are

RichardBlack
5th Oct 2012, 01:20 AM
Day 26 update

Found a moult on the glass

RichardBlack
7th Oct 2012, 04:01 AM
day 29 pictures due tomorrow

RichardBlack
8th Oct 2012, 04:01 AM
Day 29

RichardBlack
12th Oct 2012, 06:09 AM
Day 33

Things had been going slowly and up to today and nothing seemed to be changing much.

Today I have noticed five or six zoe’s clinging onto the green mossy tank glass (have only previously seen this with one zoe last weekend). Also, I can't see all the way around the tank so assume more could be doing the same.

I did a quick 20% water change and wiped the top two 3 inches of algae from the inside the glass. I just realised that the reason things were looking quiet was because there was so much green algae / moss like coating on the glass it had actually stopped me looking in to the water and seeing any details.

After the water top up I immediately saw one mini shrimp dart across the tank. In a second it was gone and now I can’t pull myself away from the tank hoping to get another glimpse.

As I sit here staring I notice the other zoe’s are doing the usual bobbing up and down in the top half of the water. I feel very reassured things are going well now..... Other blogs suggest the zoe’s will not change all at once and to add to the ‘timing event’ I recall I put in larvae over a 6 to 9 day period (as more than 1 female released her eggs) not to mention I combined my Project B tank with this tank the other week.

Hope to have some pics for day 35 (end of week 5)

Have added foods every day since last week.

RichardBlack
14th Oct 2012, 05:03 AM
Day 35

This guy in the first picture is the funniest looking shrimp i ever did see ha ha .. Looks like he’s just been caught nicking the algae from the others lol.... all the other are different including one that it totally transparent..

You can also see where I wiped the glass... the difference is just amazing.. no wonder I thought things were quiet.

RichardBlack
15th Oct 2012, 03:54 PM
Day 37

20% water change

Still feeding daily

RichardBlack
17th Oct 2012, 04:06 PM
Day 39

Nearly half the zoes have morphed into mini shrimp.. the other half still swim up and down....

The pre morph stage still are attracted to my LED torch light so I can see a gradual reduction in the number of zoes each day but still have about 50 to transform. (the post morph shrimp are not attracted to the light so it seems to be a simple numbers game... so I think I will know when to start adding fresh water?)

Things still look a little quiet when I look through the glass but when the lid is lifted up its easier to see from above the post morph shrimps dart about.

Im thinking about the process of acclimatizing them into fresh water and was going to do a drip process into the whole 19lt tank... I recon I will need to wait until all zoes have morphed... does anybody have an opinion about this as comments / ideas would be welcome?

My project C tank is still waiting for new larvae and I have three berried females... things seem to be taking longer than I recall and I have not seen any new larvae for the last 39 days. I was sure the females were ready to release.. , maybe my water is too cold (23c), anybody have any ideas about this?

RichardBlack
22nd Oct 2012, 02:39 AM
Day 43..

Been reading blog by Mike Noren 2004... His theory supports a process into fresh water as soon as the first zoes morph, he writes he had suffered losses at this stage by keeping salinity at marine levels

As nearly all of my zoes have transformed I have decided to risk the few zoes left to benefit the others who are expecting to find fresh water and to this end I have swapped 1lt of marine with established fresh water (from my planted and stocked 400lt)...

As I have read elsewhere the mini shrimp do start to get very active and dart around in all directions.... this only lasted 5 to 10 minutes then things went back to normal.

I know I only changed a small amount (5%) but I plan to change 1 lt per day for the first week then if things look okay will change 2lts per day or perhaps more.....

I will record salinity daily to see how things react... now its 33ppt

RichardBlack
16th Nov 2012, 11:23 PM
Day 66

As I was adding fresh water I realised some were not ready so had a moment getting the smaller shrimp back into another marine tank... which is where they still are!.....

The rest I continued to convert to fresh and have counted a total of 24 juvenile amano as i moved them across.

These are standing on the cable for the small 100w heater

http://imageshack.us/a/img837/7720/20121114111509.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img62/1821/20121114111500.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img339/2379/20121114111426.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/9316/20121114111419.jpg

RichardBlack
20th Feb 2013, 11:41 PM
Am pleased to let everyone know one of my tank bred females is berried... she is 152 days old so far.

Navanod
21st Feb 2013, 08:26 AM
Fantastic work Richard!

RichardBlack
22nd Feb 2013, 03:28 AM
My tank bred Amaon's pics including berried female

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/6885/20130221204837.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img201/9844/20130221210036.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img17/3950/20130221210026.jpg

Tom g
25th Feb 2013, 05:44 PM
Good work. A great read to

RichardBlack
26th Feb 2013, 02:26 AM
Good work. A great read to

Many thanks

lingistis
26th Feb 2013, 03:47 AM
Very nice thread!!! keep up the good work!!!

NaturallyCurious
23rd Mar 2013, 10:05 AM
Fascinating, I would love to try this one day, thank you for taking the time to share your lessons!!