PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question - First Time Shrimp Keeper

Nemo
3rd Sep 2012, 01:55 AM
Hey,

I've recently picked up a dozen Blue Pearl shrimp and currently drip acclimating them from my Nano tank (Dymax IQ5).

I would just like your opinions on if this tank is actually ready for them and will not cause any harm.

Essentially I have a 120g freshwater community planted tank. The idea is that when the shrimp get to a certain size I plan to move them into this. Anyway, to speed up the cycling of the Nano tank I placed the sponge filter and ceramic media for the Nano in the middle of the filter on my main tank for around 4 days. I then setup the Nano using these, filled it 100% with tank water and added 7 small Glowlight Tetras.

For the next 7 days the results were exactly the same:
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : Somewhere between 0.025 and 0.05
Nitrate : 5

I'm just worried about the slight trace of Nitrite. Do you think this could cause the shrimp harm? There was never any trace of Ammonia and i was feeding the fish every day so i'm assuming there is bacteria in the filter - do you agree? Would you normally see signs of Ammonia after 7 days in a small Nano with 7 tetras?

On the Nitrite scale:
<0.01 and 0.025 are Green
0.05 and 0.1 are Yellow
0.2 and above are Red

Would appreciate any input. As I say they are drip acclimating as we speak.

They look too small to put in the main tank - I have Neon Tetras, SAEs & female Betta