PDA

View Full Version : Cambarellus Texanus in Canada

waiflam
22nd Aug 2012, 02:07 PM
Hi,

I've been searching for Texanus in Canada for a while but no luck so far, does anyone breed them in Canada or can ship a few to Canada? Thanks !

matti2uude
22nd Aug 2012, 10:40 PM
I have some of these
Shufeld’s Dwarf Crayfish
(Cambarellus shufeldtii)
Description: This is a small red-brown or gray crayfish with dark horizontal bands or loosely arranged dots in rows. There are two forms of C. shufeldtii in both sexes: a striped and a spotted or marbled form. Their claws are small, elongate and smooth. The spiny warts found on the claws of many North American species are absent. With a maximum age of 15 to 18 months, the males get older than the females but also take longer to reach sexual maturity.
Range: Distributed from the Gulf Coast of south central Texas to southwestern Alabama, and north along the Mississippi River to Lincoln County, Missouri
Adult size: 1.5 inches
Aquarium conditions: Their small size and minimal aggression make this species ideal aquarium inhabitants that may be kept with plants and fish (neon tetras, mollies, guppies, platies, swordtails and small catfish like Ancistrus spp.) They can be kept without a heater.
Notes: Females live up to one year, during which time they may lay eggs twice, carrying them for about three weeks. The average number of eggs is between 30 and 40.
I know they aren't what you're looking for but they are similar.

Philderodez
23rd Aug 2012, 06:24 PM
Not similar. Shufeldti are more dark, marbled (no stripes) and bigger. But as easy to keep.

waiflam
24th Aug 2012, 02:51 AM
Thanks for offering , but right now I'm only looking for Texanus but Shufeldtii are nice crays too

I have some of these
Shufeld’s Dwarf Crayfish
(Cambarellus shufeldtii)
Description: This is a small red-brown or gray crayfish with dark horizontal bands or loosely arranged dots in rows. There are two forms of C. shufeldtii in both sexes: a striped and a spotted or marbled form. Their claws are small, elongate and smooth. The spiny warts found on the claws of many North American species are absent. With a maximum age of 15 to 18 months, the males get older than the females but also take longer to reach sexual maturity.
Range: Distributed from the Gulf Coast of south central Texas to southwestern Alabama, and north along the Mississippi River to Lincoln County, Missouri
Adult size: 1.5 inches
Aquarium conditions: Their small size and minimal aggression make this species ideal aquarium inhabitants that may be kept with plants and fish (neon tetras, mollies, guppies, platies, swordtails and small catfish like Ancistrus spp.) They can be kept without a heater.
Notes: Females live up to one year, during which time they may lay eggs twice, carrying them for about three weeks. The average number of eggs is between 30 and 40.
I know they aren't what you're looking for but they are similar.

matti2uude
24th Aug 2012, 03:09 AM
Ok no problem. I hope you're able to find some texanus.

waiflam
25th Aug 2012, 01:44 AM
Thanks :). If you don't mind me asking, what setting you keep your Shufledtii's at? and do they show blue coloring?

matti2uude
25th Aug 2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks :). If you don't mind me asking, what setting you keep your Shufledtii's at? and do they show blue coloring?

I keep them in tap water with Ph7.8 and TDS 350 at 78F. I don't test any other params.
The ones I have don't show any blue but I was told the parents did.