PDA

View Full Version : I need Help On Cherry Red Shrimps

babypiggy
4th Apr 2006, 12:22 AM
a friend from SG told me if i'm scared the shrimplets would be sucked up by the filter or being eaten by the fish in my tank (cardinal and octocinclus) i can put
them in a breeding net

shortley after i put the 3 feamales and 2 males in the breeding net (with some moss and small rock to anchor it down)i notice that one female was full off eggs....

it's been almsot a month now
i don't see the eggs on the female anymore but i don't see any babies in the breeding net.... (i got the lee's breeding net not sure if anyone is farmiliar with that brand) but could they of escaped the breeding net?

Claudio Cabral
4th Apr 2006, 03:37 AM
It is very possible, I had one breeding net but the shrimplets escape every time! look in the tank! or you could look inside the filter!

YuccaPatrol
4th Apr 2006, 04:23 AM
Maybe you could remove the cardinals and put a sponge over your filter intake. Otos are one of the very few fish species which are not known to eat baby shrimp?

babypiggy
4th Apr 2006, 05:17 AM
I cannot because I only have one tank.

But it is very heavily planted.

! have 6 cardinals,
6 otos and
2 khuli loaches
in a 72 gallon tank with lots and lots of plants.

YuccaPatrol
4th Apr 2006, 05:30 AM
If you want to keep a good population of shrimp, you will really need to get a shrimp-only tank for breeding them. As it is now, your kuhli loaches and cardinals will eat all of the baby shrimp so you will not get much if any successful breeding.

Can you get a small 5-10 gallon cheap tank for the shrimp? Once you get them breeding in there, you can move adult shrimp to your large tank and they will have a better chance of surviving.

babypiggy
4th Apr 2006, 05:47 AM
If you want to keep a good population of shrimp, you will really need to get a shrimp-only tank for breeding them. As it is now, your kuhli loaches and cardinals will eat all of the baby shrimp so you will not get much if any successful breeding.

Can you get a small 5-10 gallon cheap tank for the shrimp? Once you get them breeding in there, you can move adult shrimp to your large tank and they will have a better chance of surviving.
yeah but don't the shrimps need read plants?
does that mean i need good lighting for the plants
so the shrimps are happy?
i have a lot of tanks at my parents cuz i use to breed bettas
but i have the planted tnak at my bf's place (it's OUR tank we work on together)

YuccaPatrol
4th Apr 2006, 08:20 AM
If you have an old betta tank that is a couple gallons and has a light, any light, you can make a happy home for the shirimp.

Shrimp seem to LOVE java moss and you can grow that stuff in just about any light you have. If you used a 5 gallon tank (or whatever you had bettas in that was large enough to keep a stable temperature) and put some gravel and java moss in it, you'd have a great place for the shrimp without having to worry about expensive plants or lighting.

Once you have established a breeding population of shrimp, you will be able to FILL your larger tank with them as they continue to reproduce. Otherwise, you will be stuck in a cycle of buying a few shrimp and always having to replace them since they are not reproducing successfully in a tank with fish.

babypiggy
4th Apr 2006, 11:57 PM
ok i have a 2.5 gallon with an incondecent light
i'm not worries bout the plants....
i can just take the trimmings from my bigger aquarium

what bout filtration?
i'm not worried about temp i can use heater

YuccaPatrol
5th Apr 2006, 04:21 AM
If your 2.5 gallon has one of those tube shaped incandescent lights, you can get a screw-in compact fluorescent replacement that will give you LOTS of light! I think they are 10 watts, but CF bulbs produce a lot more light! I can get them for about $5 at Wal-Mart, but you should be able to find them in Canada too. Try Big Al's for the bulb:
Here (http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23441;category_id=1845;pcid 1=1843;pcid2=)

I would probably just use a very small sponge filter or a tiny HOB power filter like this one: here (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9821&N=2004+22769)

babypiggy
5th Apr 2006, 05:19 AM
can i use a corner filter that is powered by an airpump
it's those plastic boxes u put filter floss in it.

or will that suck up the shrimplets

if i jsut put java moss in it
is ther ea need for substrate?
or is it a must?

YuccaPatrol
5th Apr 2006, 11:25 AM
I am not familiar with those filters but it sounds like the same concept as the sponge filter that is driven by the air pump. I would think it would be fine.

The guy I bought my cherry shrimp from breeds them in bare tanks with nothing in them but the sponge filter and lots of java moss. That would be a great home for them.

babypiggy
7th Apr 2006, 12:42 AM
Oh okay.
Long time ago I did try to use that filter for my betta frys.
But they all got sucked into the filter.
hehe
:(

Maybe I will try with a valve and turn down the bubble rate.

It's hard to type and trying to type "properly".

:undecided

babypiggy
9th Apr 2006, 12:08 PM
Oh okay.
Long time ago I did try to use that filter for my betta frys.
But they all got sucked into the filter.
hehe
:(

Maybe I will try with a valve and turn down the bubble rate.

It's hard to type and trying to type "properly".

:undecided

Anyways I went out to the LFS to get a sponce filter.
How often would one change the water using a sponge filter?
What bout rinsing out the sponge?

Robert
9th Apr 2006, 08:02 PM
Hi,
even the best filter will not save time and effort with the water change. The amount depends on your water conditions. I would say that 30% every two weeks is enough for a well cycled shrimp tank but it depends on many factors and you gave us too few information.

Normally such a sponge filter is a low maintainance filter. It's enough to squeeze carefully the sponge a few times every three till four months in the bucket of water which probably use for the water change. When the flow rate obviously decreased, clean it carefully.

regards
Robert

babypiggy
11th Apr 2006, 12:17 PM
One of my cherries pregnant again.
The other day I got this boseman's rainbow fish....
i looked it up on the net and says mite eat my shrimp
>(
but I asked the shop kepper if it's ok with shrimps...He said yes. Maybe he didn't know.

Anyways the cherry shrimps are still in the breeding net.
Advisable to Move them to a new tank?